Saturday, May 22, 2010

Press Releases 101: How to get your Wedding Business in the News


I didn't think it was possible to squeeze in four years of PR education, and seven years of experience into 20 minutes, but I did it. Impressive for someone who can't explain the last episode of LOST in less than 30.

I had the distinct pleasure of speaking at a Women Entrepreneur's Seminar, hosted by Shanelle Calvin Consulting on the topic of Press Releases this weekend.

I owe my life in PR to a 1996 model computer that spouted out "Public Relations," after I took a, what I'm sure was required, career test in high school

PR? I remember thinking. Don't mind if I do! Not that I had any idea what it actually was, but when I told people I was going to go to college to study it, people were so receptive to the idea that I stuck with it. Even after learning what it meant several years later.

PR is the creation and cultivation of your company's public image (thanks Wikipedia!). One way to self promote? The press release- a short, concise blip about your newsworthy and timely going ons.

I could go on about the inverted pyramid writing structure, but for the sake of brevity (see- I'm trying!), here are a few tips to get you started:

1) Think like the media. Journalists are always on deadline, with very little time to review the potential hundreds of press releases that cross their desk. Keep it short, pack it with details early on, and make sure the title is sexy and attention grabbing.

2) Pick and choose who you send your Press Releases to- If you're writing something about your wedding industry, then no need to send it to every Tom, Dick and Harry (always wanted to use that term!) on your media list. Does it have a small business spin? Then by all means, send it to your business media contacts. But save your buddy over at the Men's Health magazine the time to delete your Release, but not sending it at all.

3) Be reachable- should the release get picked up, make sure you have your proverbial ducks already in a row. Be available to be interviewed and practice what you're going to say. Does your release include other fellow wedding pros? Have their cells at the ready, as well as any other pertinent information that may be requested. It simply doesn't end when you press "send" on your email.

Now that you've got a shiny new press releases, sexy title and all, what do you do with it? Distribution has come a long way in a relatively short time- less than ten years ago, we were still being taught to drop the release in the mail. Thanks to Al Gore's Internet and Twitter, the name of the game is speed. Email continues to be a great way to distribute, although I highly suggest you head on over to PR Pro Steve Mullen's Blog Post on Newswires, to give you a better idea of where to go with it.

So while you may not be winning Pulitzers (yet!), or have statues erected in your honor (mom's wall of grade school trophies doesn't count.. sorry), you may still be doing some really great things. Don't assume that the rest of the world knows and by all means, don't be afraid to broadcast it. After all, when you make it big, those three legged racing trophies might actually be worth something.

Until next time,
Meghan

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing group geared towards wedding professionals. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, Contributing Writer to Virginia Bride Magazine and has a regular spot on Bridesight TV.

2 comments:

  1. How very timely for me to come across your blog. In about three weeks,we're debuting the West Coast 2010 Fall Collection from one of the top wedding dress designers in the industry (Maggie Sottero). Besides radio, the usual social networks,as well as website announcement, I was thinking about writing a news release. But, I haven't a clue how to get started and what to include. After reading your blog, I'll give it a shot.
    Thank you!
    Judy Stark
    Wedding Center USA
    Modesto, CA
    www.weddingcenterusa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Judy- I appreciate your feedback. Best of luck to you with your upcoming event!

    ReplyDelete