Monday, May 3, 2010

Wedding Professionals and the Press

Today I'm going to share a pretty big secret with you about the media. The type of secret that if it gets out, I dare say I'll have to close my doors tomorrow, as my OFD clients bid adieu for a little DIY PR. Ready? Ok- here it goes.

The media wants to work with you (gasp!).

Allow me give you a moment to compose yourself.

I work with the wedding media in several capacities- whether I'm submitting real weddings, or assisting journalists with upcoming articles. It's one of my favorite parts of the job in fact- I love seeing a story come together. And when I get that fateful call from the media? Well, I hit the ground running.

Need a St. Paddy’s Day themed groom’s cake? Done. Italian first dance songs? I’m all over it.

What absolutely perplexes me, however, is that in every single initial conversation I've had with a journalist, I hear the standard lamentation that they can never get wedding pros to call them back. It’s a conversation as inevitable as my swollen feet at the end of a bridal show.

Sometimes, I may even be in the shoes of the media, when writing for a publication. In those instances, I'm always overjoyed when a wedding professional will work with me. Returning my calls in a timely manner AND being able to be interviewed at the planned time? Yes please!

Case in point- I recently wrote a piece about a delightful gal from DC with a fabulous product. She bent over backwards to assist me- quick replies, links to hi resolution images of her products that I could download myself (joy!), proper credit to photographers and the patience to answer interview questions that she's surely done so several times previously.

By the time we finished our interview, I was ready to stop the presses and replace Sandra Bullock with her, on the cover of People magazine no less (should I have any pull of course, which I don't.. yet).

Free press is invaluable and often takes but a moment of your time. We're always talking about the importance of being a resource to your brides. But what about being a resource to the media?

If a publication or blog wants to feature your services or products, drop what you're doing and help. If they're running a story on purple square cakes and ask for photographs, then by all means, go find those purple cakes.

Ultimately, marketing and advertising takes money. Press doesn’t (outside of your time). Find your inner Lois Lane (or Clark Kent) and aspire to be front page news.

Until next time,
Meghan

8 comments:

  1. What a great post. I was all self-righteous too until I realized I owe two people guest blog posts from too long back - that's just as bad as not responding to press inquiries. I'm going to get on those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Shayna- it's definitely understandable when one has a lot on their plate though. Great you're making it a priority!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the post! It once again revived the PR side of me and got me thinking about media strategies for my new designer cake business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if you are not getting the calls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great information and has truly put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this article...PLEASE contact me if you'd like more info.


    Brenda Boorman
    805-441-8807
    brenda@brendaboorman.com
    www.sloromance.com

    Follow me on my social networks…

    TWITTER –> http://twitter.com/BrendaBoorman

    FACEBOOK –> www.facebook.com/brenda.boorman

    LINKEDIN –> http://www.linkedin.com/in/brendaboorman

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could not be more true! I don't know why more folks don't just keep in touch with the media and be responsive to them. They aren't just looking for advertisers. Thanks for letting the secret be known :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The same thing applies to television. Local stations have three or four hours of news shows every day. They have to fill the time with something, why can't it be you? You need a story (an infomercial about yourself is NOT news) and you need to get it to the right producer, but it's actually pretty easy to get on the air.

    ReplyDelete