Tuesday, May 11, 2010

When the Right Answer is 'No'


Boy do I adore Shayna Walker- in fact, I'd think I place her square between my love of whoopie pies and Honig's Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc (non sponsored overshare!). Shayna and I bumped into each other on Twitter and it's been one of my favorite wedding industry relationships to date. Shayna recently spoke on the fascinating, and sometimes controversial, topic of Client Management. She even dared to touch upon the subject of firing your clients (gasp!). So as soon as I led a round of applause for her great presentation, I begged her to do a guest blog for me.

So without further adieu...

Best Practices in Client Satisfaction: When the Right Answer is ‘No’

Conventional “great customer service wisdom” holds that the client is always right. As a wedding pro, though, you know the truth: she is always right, except for the times when she is wrong. Those times call for a simple solution – you have to say “no”.

While it can be nerve-wracking to stand up to your clients or potential customers, you are the expert. You are paid to identify red flags in your field and resolve them before they become actual problems. Asserting your better judgment is acting in the best interest of your client and your business.

There is no room for compromise when it comes to your business integrity. You don’t have to be confrontational. In fact, you can learn to say “no” so effectively that it’s not only natural and polite; but it builds consumer confidence.

When to Say No

Perfect situations for a firm, but polite “no” include:

Bride: “Will you discount your services to win my business?”

Pro: “No, my pricing reflects how I value my time and expertise. I will however aim to exceed your expectations.”

Bride: “Will you provide ‘x’ service that is not your specialty?”

Pro: “No, I will not compromise my standards and your right to be completely satisfied, but I will recommend a professional or an alternative that might better suit your needs.”

Bride: “Will you beat your competitor’s pricing if I share her quote with you?”

Pro: “No, however, I will be glad to provide you a fair and accurate quote for my services if you explain what you are looking for, then, you can choose the best fit for the job.”

Practice Makes Perfect

You should practice saying no professionally before you actually need the skill. Run your own likely scenarios and lean on colleagues to fine-tune your approach.

The Upside of “No”

It takes practice to say “no” in a way that protects your business’ integrity but doesn’t offend the prospective clients. The payoff is worth the effort:

  • The quality of clients who do hire you skyrockets because they value you as you value yourself.
  • Client satisfaction increases dramatically when you match the right service to the right consumer.
  • Your professional reputation improves as your peers see you defend your value and expertise.
  • Your competitors find new reasons to respect (and maybe even refer) you when they know you’d rather lose the wrong business than willfully undercut theirs.
  • Your overall client experience benefits from establishing your boundaries from the beginning.
  • Your preserve your own sanity and job satisfaction by working with colleagues and clients who are inclined to be satisfied.

Next time you’re faced with an inquiry that would be best served by “no”, be ready. Can you think of a situation where “no” would be your best response?

Shayna Walker owns Williamsburg Wedding Design (http://www.williamsburgweddingdesign.com). She writes the World According to Weddlady (http://www.weddlady.com) blog, The Williamsburg Wedding Blog (http://www.thewilliamsburgweddingblog.com) and Life in Weddings blog (http://www.lifeinweddings.com). She publishes the annual Where to Wed bridal guide for Williamsburg, Yorktown, Providence Forge and Newport News. She is also a passionate speaker and educator for the wedding industry, an established professional wedding planner and her most important job: a single mom of twin kindergartners.


4 comments:

  1. Great post! I had a situations similar to this recently. I will have a better reply next time. Thanks, Laura Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I can think of a few "no" situations! A lot of bakers will agree to do designs or techniques that they're not familiar with, or just know won't work just to get the job(I can think of buttercream in the summer heat right off the bat). I have no trouble telling brides that something they're asking for is either impractical or needs to be done in a different way. She might not be happy with me, and could hire someone else, but I won't compromise the quality of the cake just to book a job. When she hires someone who promises a cake that stands up to heat, and the icing slides off the cake before dinner is served at her reception, she might understand then that I wasn't making things up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information! Thanks for sharing. I am very new to the industry and have already found myself using "no". Your tip to practice saying "No" before you need the skill was important to my success in delivery...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very , very good. I concur with this 100% , its very similar in the Wedding Entertainment Industry. . . . It took me a long time to learn this, and caused me lots of stress along the way ! Andy Harvey .. www.theedge-uk.com

    ReplyDelete