Sunday, May 9, 2010

Wedding Competitors: Can't we all just get along?

I'm an obnoxiously fast typer. And to be on the safe side, I tested myself online just moments ago. Yep, 90 words a minute.

I'd love to credit my Freshmen year Computer class and various typing games, but really, I owe all my skills to my high school friend Ann.

There were three of us who sat in the far corner of the room and when Ann got to typing, it was a symphony on the keyboard. I was a mix of envy and jealousy with a hint of competition (okay, maybe more than a hint).

Before you knew it, I was typing fast and furious to keep up. And know what? I’m good. Darn good. I’d hate for anyone to run into me in a back alley with a couple of keyboards because I’d wipe the floor with them.

The wedding world can be perplexing when it comes to competition, and I find that each vendor type has its own take on it. Some have no troubles gathering their wedding comrades and hightailing it to the nearest pub to toast their crazy lives. While others manage to spend years circumventing each while attending the same functions.

When I used to wear my Reception hat, I loved getting to know the other venues in town. Brides were always surprised that I was quick to recommend my fellow competitors when our space wouldn't work for them. They were even more surprised when I’d finish the conversation with “oh and tell him I said hi.”

I had no problem embracing my competitor. Why you may ask?

1) Not every bride that comes through your door is going to be a good fit. Show them that extra level of service by offering them suggestions as to other colleagues who may be. Now that, my friends, is what I call a lasting impression.

2) In turn, you may be on the receiving end of a referral should your competitor have to turn down a wedding.

3) Who else is really going to get it when a bride rolls in on the crazy train insisting you repaint your venue to match her wedding colors? Sure you’ve got a sounding board in your friends and family- but isn’t it nice when you can share your bits of frustration with someone just like yourself? Like I used to say to my friends in Freshmen year Statistics, there's company in misery.

Case in point- I had spent about five years in the business and one evening as I’m about to shut down my computer (5:29pm!), my General Manager announces to us all that he needed the Audio Visual Pricing of all our competitors. Oh and by tomorrow morning (panic!).

I wiped the sweat of my brow and got digging- well, begging. I wrote all of my buddies and basically said, Listen, I know you’re all working still because I am always at work at this time. And you know I wouldn’t be pleading if I wasn’t desperate. So how about those AV prices?

By the very next morning, I easily had the full AV pricing for our top five or six competitors.

Now that situation could have gone several different ways but because I had established a trusting relationship among my competitors, I came out on top. And the next time one of my fellow venues needed to know exactly how much our scallops wrapped in shrimp cost? I’d be first in line to send it to them. Maybe even with samples.

Now am I asking you to gather around a camp fire and sing kumbaya? Nope. But I am asking you to consider the idea that in good times, there is enough business to go around. Your competitors are better for knowing you and—get this— you’ll be better for knowing them.

Just like my 90 word per minute hands are better for knowing Ann.

Until next time,
Meghan

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing group geared towards wedding professionals. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, and has a regular spot on Bridesight TV.

8 comments:

  1. This is great advice. As a bride, I truly appreciate it when a vendor is straight with me about what he or she has to offer, and when he or she can’t deliver what I need, honest suggestions about who can are both helpful and memorable. When I offer advice and guidance to other brides through my blogs or in person, you’d better believe that these vendors at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent points, as usual! If I didn't have friendly vendors to refer people to (and I do) it would say a lot about me, both business-wise and personally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback- I genuinely feel this is the way to go, when dealing with competitors. Bicoastal- I couldn't agree more when it comes to brides.. they appreciate the referrals if your services don't mesh with their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in an interesting position. Not only am I an experienced DJ and Master of Ceremonies, I am involved in the management and booking of two venues, my fiance is a wedding planner and we co-produce a long running bridal show. I am the secretary of the local chapter of the American Disc Jockey Association and we all work together to improve the experience for all our customers. We always refer our competitors when we can't serve the needs of the client. As bridal show producers it is essential to maintain good relationships with everyone. However, in our region there are a few that think they don't need anyone and don't get along with anyone. We host monthly vendor networking events so that more people can get to know their competitors and other vendors to better serve the brides and grooms of our region.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your subject line was genius. It drew me in like a bee to honey. I've been in the internet wedding business over 10 years now and have found the climate to be getting, not only chilly, but down right tornadic. I've always held the values you've written about and welcome all competition, but thanks for the reminder. What's the old saying, "Keep your friends close and you enemies closer"?
    Love your website, and your writing. I'm now a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Top Wedding Sites- what great feedback. It sounds like we're all on the same page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post- I couldn't agree more.

    You know, my experience tells me that it's plain fear keeping more folks from making referrals or collaborating more. That's so sad because those are lost opportunities for so much more than income.

    The company of liked-minded colleagues who are friends is just as valuable as money in the bank(and maybe more so on some days).

    I love that you're talking about this and glad that I'm on the same page, too!

    Warmly,
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your thoughtful comment Dina, as always. I certainly agree that opportunities are lost every day that we turn our noses on our competitors.

    ReplyDelete