Monday, July 5, 2010

A Tale of One Hundred Wedding Web Sites

I feel like I've been to the trenches and back.

As I wrapped up a recent client project, I came to the realization that I had just reviewed one hundred wedding web sites.

With the majority from my very own neck of the woods, I feel like I've seen it all- from the snazzy to the pitifully outdated.

Here's the thing- I'm always rejecting my own Blog ideas because it seems like common sense. Of course then I gently remind myself of the time just a month or so ago when my husband had to stop me from removing a piece a toast from the toaster.. with a fork. So alas, not everything deemed common sense to one means it's necessarily common sense to another.

So after my extended tour of the world wide web , I decided to resurrect the idea of blogging about Wedding Site 101.

Below, you'll find a few simply tips and tricks to steer you in the right direction:

1. Add a Bio: Let me know who you are. Brides need to fall in love with your work, as well as you. Build credibility. Show a little personality. After all, you will be spending quite a bit of time together.

2. Photos: On that note, include a professional head shot with your bio. It's far more difficult to say no, when they've got your handsome mug smiling back at you.

3. Testimonials: You rock and hopefully, you've got a drawer full of notes to prove. You can try to dazzle your brides with your photos and impressive credentials, but what they really want to hear is how much other brides have loved you.

4. Stay up to date. In in a similar vein, don't date information like testimonials. You may post a round of kudos from last year's weddings and if you don't touch it again for another year, brides may think that suddenly you've become Mr. or Ms. Unpopular with your current brides. Additionally, if you ran specials for your business last Fall and it's now July, it's time to take a moment to take that down.

5. Press. I'm always surprised when wedding pros don't have a Press page citing media mentions. The wedding market, for the majority, is over saturated and you have to do what you can to stand out from the crowd. If you've been quoted or have had products featured, go ahead and give those PR efforts some extra legs by letting it live on on your web site.

6. Professional Copy. A clear description of your services is paramount. You may have only this one shot at capturing interest and you need to do so in a professional manner. Hire someone to write it for you.

7. Social Media Links. If you're taking the time to put on your social media hat, then make sure brides can find you. Simple widgets will do the trick.

8. Have one. Yes, that's right- have a web site. You'd be surprised how many still don't. Just remember- these brides are more than likely working a million hours a week just like yourselves and will be sneaking in the wedding research during the work day. Having a presence on the world wide web is as necessary as business cards, and swoon worthy linens at a bridal show booth.

The list is truly endless, but the above will certainly get you started. Remember- your web site may very well be a bride's first impression. Make it a good one.

More soon,
Meghan


Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing and public relations group servicing the wedding industry. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, Contributing Writer to Virginia Bride Magazine and has a regular column in the Richmond Times Dispatch, Wedology 101: the Reality of Being a Bride.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article...I'm going to add a press page, I swear, I've had the thing sitting around for a year waiting to put it up. Ironically, tomorrow the series I wrote about why my website works for me starts on my blog. And I mention you! Because I like to give you a hard time!

    ReplyDelete