Monday, January 18, 2010

Bridal Gowns 101

I've said it once and I'll say it again- success and education walk hand in hand.

More specifically, to know the wedding industry inside and out will give you an advantage over your competitors. Period.

I had the pleasure of joining Richmond's Wedding Planners at a special event at Bella Rosa (www.bellarosabridal.com) on Sunday, as we took the time to educate ourselves on the wedding gown and tux industry. I was instantly transported into the world of Bridal Gowns 101- hems (French vs. American!), alterations (add the cost to your budget- stat!) and timelines (10-12 weeks before arrival!).

The benefit of being a wedding planner with extensive knowledge of the wedding gown purchasing process is clear- you give your clients yet another reason why you are a resource and simply indispensable. Kudos to the ladies who took time on a rainy Sunday to better their craft!

While not a planner myself, I enjoyed the opportunity to get the behind the scenes tour of the bridal gown and tux industry.

I, of course, was especially delighted to participate in "Shop Talk" sessions with two of Richmond's finest- Ryan with Mosaic Catering (www.mosaicedibles.com) and Graham with Cakes by Graham (www.cakesbygraham.com). Ryan sat us down to discuss Catering and role Planners play. It was an engaging discussion of shared roles, challenges and how to make a Bride's Big Day a Good Day for the vendors. Graham touched upon the ever important subject of Budget. The discussion moved along to why brides budget the way the do, how they decide to allocate funds and the importance of ascertaining "hot buttons" (aka the things that matter the most to the bride and groom) before making selections.

Ultimately, it was a day of shared ideas, industry talk and ultimately, better preparing yourself for what you do. Special thanks to Bella Rosa for being gracious hosts.

If you're a vendor and would like to see the day from a Planner's eyes, then I'd suggest visiting Merriment Event's Little White Book (http://www.brideslittlewhitebook.blogspot.com/). Courtney also attended the event and offers a glimpse into Wedding Gown Know How.

Until next time,
Meghan

http://www.ofdconsulting.com/

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing group geared towards wedding professionals. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, and has a regular spot on Bridesight TV.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love wedding dresses. Did you know that I used to design costumes for the theater? I designed and made my sister's wedding dress, too. I have a deep, underlying love of textiles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have worn far more hats than I could ever count Kara!

    ReplyDelete