Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Anatomy of a Bright Idea- Part One

Admittedly, the majority of my bright ideas start in the shower.

I owe many inventive newspaper layouts, term paper topics and spur of the moment party ideas to my shower. So it came as no surprise several months ago when it hit me.

Taking just enough time out to throw on a towel, I ran to my computer and starting typing:

Bridal Show Survival Kits

Finding my clients brides is not a problem. Consider all of the avenues- magazines, newspapers, tv, blogs, webs, associations- the industry is full of ways to connect you with your brides.

The same consideration, however, is not given to the people who would like to communicate to the actual wedding professional. You simply do not trip over wedding industry magazines at the grocery story, and you certainly don't turn the dial to Weddingprozilla. Alas, mine is a different challenge.

I've been most fortunate to work mainly through referrals, but it was time to shake things up and get 2010 started on the right foot.

The next question you ask yourself is- how do you find wedding professionals? I only had to ask myself one more question-- well, where was I every January?

Then it hit me. Bridal show!

Everyone knows that the biggest show in town is the Richmond Bridal Showcase (http://www.richmondbridalshowcase.com/) at the Greater Richmond Convention Center- this year, slated for January 10. I have put in countless hours in years past working on booths, working on getting the business.. and working on getting my voice back after all is said and done. This year, I had plans to support the Richmond Bridal Association (www.richmondbridalassociation.com) at our winter wedding themed booth.

Two hundred of some of the top wedding professionals in town? Don't mind if I do!

Fast forward a few months and here I sit, drowning in coffee and foot cream.

Confused? Stay Tuned.

Until next time,
Meghan

http://www.ofdconsulting.com/

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing group geared towards wedding professionals. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, and has a regular spot on Bridesight TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment