Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wedology 101: A Love Story

When I got engaged early early last year, I think it came as no surprise that the wedding was planned in about two weeks. Site, vendors, invites? Check, check and double check.

The hubby to be and I breezed through the engagement, throwing in a home purchase, big move and job change in the mix for good measure. I remember thinking to myself- you see, why in the world do people get so stressed out?

That's until, however, Switters peed on the bed.

Who exactly Switters? One of the other loves of my life, except for that day. Two days before the wedding and I've got 30 folks coming to the house in a matter of hours. My family is blowing into town earlier than expected and I, I had a guest bed that had been peed on by Switters.

I panicked. I raced through the grocery store finalizing the evening's meal while cradling the phone on my shoulder telling a client that I simply could not finalize the one final teeny task I had left until now for them. But I do believe I offered to come over with whiskey. And I don't drink whiskey.

I was not handling this well.

After a few deep breaths, a quick run of the scissors across my pillow top to cut (yes, cut) off the top layer, I was in better spirits.

Lesson learned- even the wedding lady gets the crazies.

Wedology 101 has been percolating in my noggin for several years. I've had my fair share of stressed out brides- those who have flipped their lid, burst into tears and yes, even tossed their cookies before being announced into their reception. Each and every time I told myself- there has to be another way to do this.

Thus, Wedology 101 was born and I'm eager for our inaugural event on August 15 at Wyndham Virginia Crossings from 1-5pm. I'm joining forces with wedding guru Jennifer McBride to provide an insightful, fun and engaging workshop designed to answer many of the questions that I just don't see covered elsewhere- how to balance planning and family, the dreaded guest list, having a life outside of the plans- things that keep you from ending up in a puddle of tears or offering whiskey to your clients.

I find that the majority of my readers are wedding professionals, so if you have a few booked brides who would benefit from a kick butt afternoon of sanity, swag bags and style, then feel free to send them our way. Better yet- if they visit our registration page (http://wedology101.eventbrite.com/) and enter in the discount code ofdconsulting, they get $5 off the ticket price.

Thanks for your support of our endeavors and hope to see you there!

Until next time,
Meghan

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing and public relations group servicing the wedding industry. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, Contributing Writer to Virginia Bride Magazine and has a regular column in the Richmond Times Dispatch, Wedology 101: the Reality of Being a Bride.



4 comments:

  1. Nicely written - but this is why I am not a fan of cats.
    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob- yes, I don't paint a very good picture of my dear Switters in this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Switters...Bad Kitty!

    Wedology sounds incredible! I wish I were going to be in town, I would definitely be there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Julie- I'm sorry we're missing you but perhaps next time! We hope to do another in the first quarter of 2011.

    ReplyDelete