Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why you should know how to pin a Boutonniere: Being an all around Resource


Three years ago, my best friend got married and as with would most wedding professionals like myself, I asked the inevitable question: "Is there anything I can do to help?"

She then reasoned that since I "know weddings," then I could be put in charge of pinning all of the boutonnieres.

Panic.

It was like she had asked me to translate the wedding vows into French (which I can't by the way, despite my heritage). The good news was that this conversation took place over the phone- otherwise she would have seen the immediate panic in my eyes. I no sooner got off the phone that I flagged down our in house florist, declaring that we had a floral emergency and that i simply had to learn how to pin a boutonniere this very instant.

This brings me to today's blog topic- being an all around resource for your brides. Like all vendors, you're naturally going to market your skill set, correct?

Here in lies the problem- that's simply not enough these days. This is especially true in today's market, where the full time professionals are regularly competing with the "weekend warriors"-- that is, folks who devote their weekdays to another trade and then suddenly polish off their digital camera, ipo, what have you and become a wedding professional.

Good products will get people in through the door to speak with you, but if you want to give yourself a true edge over the competitors, you need to know your industry.

When I ran events at reception venues, I made it my business to make everything my business. Sure I knew the ideal temperature on a medium rare steak (130-135 degrees!), and what size linen accommodates a 5' round (120"!), but I also knew what color fondant stained your teeth, where you could get a gown pressed on a holiday weekend and the ideal time of day to take an outdoor bridal-- all while pointing brides to the nearest circuit court to obtain a marriage license.

Suddenly, I was the first person the bride would call with questions. I became her resource. And her? Well she became a revenue stream.

If your business is weddings, then take the time to learn them, and not just your piece of the pie. Keep up to date on the latest trends. Have a general awareness of standard event timeline. Learn what it is that your vendors do- it will only help to make the event that more seamless.

Since that fateful day three years ago, I have put my good boutonniere skills to use- even to the point when I could do it with one eye closed (necessary when thrown into a dressing room- trust me). Before long, I was impressed to find that many of my photography colleagues were doing the same thing.

As for those French vows? Perhaps I'll tackle those next.


Until next time,

Meghan

2 comments:

  1. Very true--I have pinned many a boutonniere myself and received many thanks from relieved clients as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to hear- it's the little things that really count. Thanks for sharing Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete