Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Coming Together for a Good Cause

Let's face it- life isn't easy.

Whether we're dealing with the recession, personal issues or just a bad day, sometimes life hits you hard. Then, you come upon another person's story, and you suddenly become grateful for all that you have.

This very thing happened to me Monday night as a colleague shared the tale of a local Richmond bride and groom faced with the very worst- so very little time together.

It doesn't matter who they are specifically but the story is this- the couple have been together for years and the groom is faced with a rare form of cancer. They just learned that he has 6-8 months to live so they've moved the wedding up to this month.

We all know how much weddings can cost-- and why many of us wait and save as much as we can. Well time isn't a luxury in this instance.

So it was time to step up. After all, I have the pleasure of knowing so many great wedding people. So I wrote to the masses- my colleagues, my association members, my friends.

Thus far, the response has been amazing- from cakes to photography, receptions, minister, invitation shops, you name it. Everyone has been willing to assist this couple, whose wedding date is fast approaching on February 21. There is a reason I'm in the industry that I am and if today just deepened my gratitude either further. As I collect the names, I will gladly post and give kudos to these generous, wonderful people.

We still, however, need help- whether it be labor the weekend of, or food to help feed the approximately (150) guests. No offer is too small, and know that those involved are most appreciative.

As I noted in my initial email to my vendor friends, I'm not wearing my OFD hat or my RBA hat today. I'm simply reaching out to my readers as a friend and a colleague. This family did not ask for our help, but only one question remains- how can we not?

If you want to help- feel free to email me meghan@ofdconsulting.com or on Twitter @ofdconsulting.

If I have been of service, if I have glimpsed more of the nature and essence of ultimate good, if I am inspired to reach wider horizons of thought and action, if I am at peace with myself, it has been a successful day.
~Alex Noble



Until next time,
Meghan

meghan@ofdconsulting.com

http://www.ofdconsulting.com/

Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, a niche marketing group geared towards wedding professionals. She is also the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association, and has a regular spot on Bridesight TV.

2 comments:

  1. I was about to get in touch to say..."Please put me down to assist" as I live only 40 minutes away from Richmond....but then I noticed that you are Richmond Virginia, and I am Richmond, Surrey, England. I really am sorry as I think this is an excellent cause and a chance for many of us to give something to those who face far greater challenges than we will ever know. I wish you the greatest of luck and every success in your worthwhile venture.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul- you are too kind! Thank you for thinking of us though. I'm sure I'll happily being posting after the 21st about what a spectacular production we put on for them. :)

    ReplyDelete