Wednesday, September 9, 2009

BIG NEWS for OFD Consulting- a new Chapter



Now what kind of marketing guru would I be if I posted the big news in the first line? I want you to read the Blog first- or at least politely scroll down to the bottom.

Let’s take a step in time for a moment. The year was 2003 and I was fresh faced out of JMU. I had moved to Richmond after a whirlwind stay in Oregon, and I was too new to even pick out my grocery store yet.

I was enjoying my time with Maymont, planning their weddings. One of the perks of my job was attending monthly meetings with the Richmond Bridal Association, a dynamic group of wedding professionals in our area. It was there that I met some of the best folks in town (professionally and personally) and it was there that I learned how to do my job better.

Fast forward several months ahead as Maymont hosted the group at our very own Garden Hall. It was election night for the new public relations position, and I had my eye on it. My eye was one thing—my nerves were a whole different story. After a pep talk from my boss and a couple of white chocolate martinis from the open bar, I stood up among my peers and nominated myself. I won, happily, and haven’t looked back.

Throughout the years, I have found myself in several capacities with RBA- representing the group at bridal shows, working with the Times Dispatch on stories, serving as Membership Director on the Board and assisting with establishing our popular annual Bridal Forum in November. When I had to leave the organization earlier this year, to pursue other endeavors, I missed it.

Tonight was a night of changes as I was announced as the new Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association. Moving forward, I have the distinct privilege of assisting my peers just as they did me those years ago.

I’m overjoyed at this new and exciting endeavor. I so firmly believe in the virtues of professional growth and education in the wedding industry. I also believe that a bride should hire professionals for their wedding- having your best man double team the night by playing his ipod simply does not work. I also believe in social responsibility and doing our part to give back to the community. I hope these three things will guide me on this adventure.

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. ~Walt Disney

Until next time,
Meghan
Meghan@ofdconsulting.com

3 comments: